Sunday, April 20, 2008

Happy Passover!

Therefore purge out the old leaven, that you may be a new lump, since you truly are unleavened. For indeed Christ, our Passover, was sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth. 1 Corinthians 5:6-7

There's so much to take in from the pictures God paints in the accounts of the Old Testament. The special days He set up and instructed Israel to observe and remember are His "field trips" to impress truths in our hearts about Jesus and His kingdom using all our senses. He's the perfect Daddy. He knows how we learn best. He knows how to teach us!

My kids have different learning styles but as children they both generally learn the same. That is, neither of them can read. To get across a message or story we look at picture books and observe nature and watch good movies. They can only sit so long and be verbally told a story...they need to engage their other senses. Now, as they grow they'll learn to read and their minds will be the canvas God paints His pictures on using words they read. But for now, they need pictures.

It's the same way with us grown ups (and kids) who follow the Lord. We need pictures to understand the language of heaven. Preparing for this Passover dinner tonight- going through the house to find any remaining yeast bread, taking it outside and burning it, hearing the story of the Exodus and the initiation Passover and now obeying it's order and observing one for ourselves is giving us an in-living-color, up-close-and-personal picture of the price of freedom, mercy and grace and the sweetness of it for us who are redeemed.

Tomorrow, I'll have to share point by point things areas I see Jesus more in this celebration, but for now I just want to say, thank You Father! Thank You for teaching us with tastes, and things we do that demonstrate eternal truths about You and Your kingdom! Take my mouth and my life as a instrument in Your hand. Let me not be the teacher, but the tool You use as THE Teacher to guide the souls You've entrusted to me through this lesson.

I pray You would cause Connor and Ryland to ask questions and me too! Draw out the questions we need to ask so You can answer us with the answers that give us life.

Show me where any old leaven is in my life that I might live a life that my children and others can feed on- like unleavened bread, with sincerity and truth.

1 comment:

Susannah said...

Happy Passover, Sheila. (I'm cooking lamb tonight.) Hugs, e-Mom