Friday, April 18, 2008

Backyard surprise!


A couple days ago the boys were playing in the backyard and came running in shouting, "Mom, there's swaps (that's how they say wasps)!"
So I headed out to see where the swap was and found this!

A mass of bees in my tree. Not sure what kind of bees, and knowing we've got Africanized bees in Arizona I hearded the kids inside. Later that day my husband came home to see and to exterminate. Once he found them in the tree he came back in the house to get the bee killer spray that shoots 27 feet, but when he went back outside THEY WERE ALL GONE! JUST LIKE THAT! GONE!
Wierd huh?!
Any of you know what might have happened or what they were doing in a mass like that in our tree?
I thought they were building a hive, but apparently there was no hive just a massive congregate of bees that suddenly disappeared!
I haven't had a chance to research what happened but if you might know I'd love to hear.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love one of the boys repeating, "Oh my Lord"...that was so cute.

I don't know what that was but I'm sure curious to hear about it. Ick!

rebeccahuff said...

Maybe they were leaving one hive and starting a new one. Sometimes beekeepers have to go hunt down their bees when a new queen decides to start out on her own. It's actually called a swarm. If they are honey bees. The beekeeper can actually go and "get them" and bring them back. Not sure that's what it was, but it sounds like it.
Rebecca Huff
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/rebeccahuff

Karen Hossink said...

My 10-year-old would have loved to discover those bees.
I'm glad they weren't in my back yard!!!