Thursday, May 8, 2008

Thankful Thursday


  • I'm so thankful for the high calling of being a builder of the home God's entrusted to me. He's changed my heart to see this life of service as blessed treasure.
The wise woman builds her house, But the foolish pulls it down with her hands. ~ Proverbs 14:1

  • I'm so very thankful for the honorable calling of being a keeper at home- an on guard and watchful wife and mom. I've come to see, just as our Lord said, that it's in this unlikely occupation where my flesh and the world says I'm doing the work of a servant, where true greatness is. It's not in the title or position of honor I have had as a nurse. It's not in the role of volunteering in some seen ministry at church- in those places there is reward and honor. But none compare to the reward and honor that, though at times seems to tarry now, will come in this unseen work done unto the Lord. I'm thankful for the ability to be a keeper at home, for truly I could never guard this "city" or be watchful as a wife and mom if the LORD wasn't guarding this house/city and being watchful over this home.
To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed. - Titus 2:5
  • I truly am sooooo thankful for the blessing and ministry of motherhood. Mother's Day is approaching and there were many Mother's Day pasts in which I longed to be a mom, but wasn't. God was beginning a more critical work in me of learning to love the father of my would be children with Christ-like love first.

Everyday I look at my kids and I'm immediately taken to the cross. It is for the joy set before me that I gladly die to myself daily to raise the souls God's given me in the ways of the Lord, and it is also the area of my life where I know I have ZERO ability in my own strength to finish the paramount calling laid before me as a mom.

O Lord, our Lord, How excellent is Your name in all the earth, Who have set Your glory above the heavens! Out of the mouth of babes and nursing infants You have ordained strength, Because of Your enemies, That You may silence the enemy and the avenger. ~ Psalm 8:1-2
  • Thank you Jesus for the heritage You've given me in these children.
  • Thank you for changing my heart LORD to see that training these little ones to come to You is building this house for Your glory and is the unlikely weapon against the enemy which he can't stand!
Make me like Ruth Lord, make us your "moms" like Ruth, who through putting her trust in You was given a husband and home and blessed to be, "...like Rachel and Leah, the two who BUILT the house of Israel." (Ruth 4:11) May I build YOUR house as I train up my sons in the wisdom and admonition of the LORD.
"Unless the Lord builds the house, They labor in vain who build it; Unless the Lord guards the city, The watchman stays awake in vain. It is vain for you to rise up early, To sit up late, To eat the bread of sorrows; For so He gives His beloved sleep. Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, The fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them; They shall not be ashamed, But shall speak with their enemies in the gate." Psalm 127
For more gratitude, head over to Sting My Heart- the host of TT.

5 comments:

Denise said...

Thank you for your beautiful, thankful heart.

Anonymous said...

This was lovely. Happy Mother's Day to you.
Gina @ Gina's Public Diary

Darlene said...

Wonderful TT post! Thanks for sharing.
Have a great week and Happy Mother's Day!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your heart.

Love the title photo.

Joy @ SAH Missionary said...

Sheila,
I love this post. You are a thoughtful, thankful mom.
Thank you, too, for the thoughtful comments you left at my place. It seems that you and I think a lot alike...we have the SAME Sally Clarkson quote on our sidebars!
I am encouraged by you, and I am adding you to my favorite blog list!

Blessings,
Joy