Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Tuesdays For Timothy Moms: Write a creed


Today's the first day of Tuesdays for Timothy Moms! I thought a great way to start this weekly meme would be to write a creed. No this isn't a secret society or club. What I'm thinking here is more along the lines of a scriptural declaration of our individual stands as moms for our children to know Christ.

Writing a creed, vision, plan, declaration...whatever you want to call it is not new, and it's scriptural.

The Apostles creed apparently dates back to early church history. The Nicene's declared their creed. And throughout scripture there are many examples of verbally declaring or writing down plans, purposes and visions that a person has in setting out to live a life of faith.

Habakkuk was told by the Lord to, "Write the vision and make it plain on tablets, that he may run who reads it." (Habakkuk 2:2)

Joshua declared, "And if it seems evil to you to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." (Joshua 24:15)

Even Jesus declared, "And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it. And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven." (Matthew 16:18-19)

In all these cases there was a decision, a turning point, a crossroads before the person making the "creed" or declaration, and there was also spiritually a stand that was taken. That's what I'm setting out to do today and hopefully you'll join me.

The scriptures clearly show God's heart for children and His design in placing the responsibility and calling of teaching God's word to our kids and evidencing it's truth by living a life of faith before them.

"The Lord our God, the Lord is one! You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. "And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates." (Deut.6:4-9)

"And you shall do what is right and good in the sight of the Lord, that it may be well with you, and that you may go in and possess the good land of which the Lord swore to your fathers, to cast out all your enemies from before you, as the Lord has spoken. "When your son asks you in time to come, saying, 'What is the meaning of the testimonies, the statutes, and the judgments which the Lord our God has commanded you?' then you shall say to your son..." (Deut. 6:18-20a)

"And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord." (Ephesians 6:4)

It's easy to let life consume our time and without plan, purpose and taking steps to pin down time praying and reading and singing and talking together the ripe opportunity to be a laborer in the harvest of our own kids can slip between the cracks.

Church isn't enough. So what's your plan mom?!

If you're kids are grown and gone- what about your grandkids? Or what truth did you stand on and plan of action did you take to be sure to plant the word in your kids?

Here's the Timothy mom creed I've written and refer to often in praying and go through my days with my two sons:

  • I believe God's word is a sure investment in eternity when planted in my children's hearts. It's sure to bring about God's purposes and not return to Him void (Isaiah 55:8-11).

  • I believe my role is to preserve a tender place for the Spirit of God to work in their hearts and to induce thirst by being salt to my children (Matthew 5:13-16). To cause them to ask questions by living a life of obedience and faith (Deut.6:18-20). And to bring light to the lives of my children who are born into a dark world with a sinful nature (Matthew 5:13-16, Phil.2:15)

  • I purpose to pray for my children's salvation, that God would grant them a godly sorrow that leads to true repentance and not allow religion to dull their consciences (2 Cor.7:10)

  • I am obeying and carrying out the great commission Jesus has given to me in making my children disciples of Jesus Christ and by providing an environment where they can abide in His word, that is, hear the word and be taught it in every aspect of life (Matthew 28:19-20. John 8:31-32.)

  • I seek to be a model of genuine faith (LORD help me!) in Christ to my children (2 Timothy 1:5). It is Christ who lives in me and who teaches my kids (Galatians 2:20. Isaiah 54:13) and who calls the little children to come to Him through me- let me not prevent them from coming in any way! (Matthew 19:13-15)

  • I receive the Lord Himself into my life to a greater degree by receiving my children in Jesus' name or character and thereby become the "least" in people's eyes (even my own flesh) and become the greatest in the LORD's eyes (Luke 9:46-48)

  • I will nurture and nurse my kids spiritually on the pure milk of the word which is able to make them wise for salvation through faith which is in Jesus Christ (2 Timothy 3:14-15).

  • I will labor for them in prayer and in daily life, pouring out my life and the gospel into them (Galatians 4:19, 1 Thessalonians 2:8-9).

  • I will let God's word convict them of sin, be their tutor and guard, leading and keeping them to the point of faith (Galatians 3:22-25).

Now your "creed" doesn't need to be as long or with links like mine, it can be as simple as one verse or a sentence or two that is based on scriptural truths. Just post your Timothy mom creed on your blog and then copy the link to the Mr. Linky window below. Also, be sure to leave a comment!

If you'd like to learn more about Timothy moms and me go here.



No comments: