Tuesday, April 29, 2008

My study on God's methods of teaching

I posted this originally over at my new homeschool blog, but I thought it was fitting to post it here also.

Not only am I studying the Word, and praying for God's direction on the best way to teach my two sons "school stuff" (which I plan on doing as I teach them God's Word), but also the best way to teach them God's word.

The Lord has been faithful to pour so much of His word into me as I've asked and have begun this study. Below is the post, it's fairly lengthy. I plan to derive from this study a more concise post on what He's teaching me concerning teaching my kids God's word and teaching my kids period!

I've been reading other homeschool bloggers' differing methods and approaches to teaching children. I've felt an Amen with many of them and others I haven't agreed with. As I've been prayerful and listening to how the Spirit would direct me in this journey I keep feeling like He's given me the perfect teaching model in His word.

The way God the Father chooses to teach His children and disciples- those who would follow Him- and how He tells Israel to teach their children is throughout scripture. I'm not talking specifically about the content, but the METHOD, the APPROACH God takes when teaching people.

These things are standing out to me and as I meditate on them I plan to develop a written teaching model to go off of.
  1. Use special days, routines, activities to get across a message

  2. Do things that draw out questions

  3. Be a person who models the message

  4. Use song/music to aid in memory

  5. Verbally, consistently and constantly speak the message in everyday life experiences.

  6. Be a servant- that's the best and un-challengable platform from which anyone can teach those who follow them.

Here's the word study on teaching:

Q- How does God teach people?

• Exodus 18:20And thou shalt teach * them ordinances and laws, and shalt shew them the way wherein they must walk, and the work that they must do.

Teach in this verse is: Zahar- to admonish, warn, teach, shine, send out light, be light, be shining
(Niphal) to be taught, be admonished
(Hiphil)
to teach, warn
to shine, send out light

Ordinances in this verse talks about boundaries or limits.

Law in this verse means direction or instruction

Shew means to learn to know or to know

Way is manner, journey, path, course of life

Work is work, labor, business, enterprise, deed

Do is to do, work, make, accomplish

o I get from this to be an example to them of the way of being servant, just as Jesus taught us to do in John 13. John 13:13-17: You call me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am. 14 If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. 15 For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you. 16 Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him. 17 If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.

o And also to guide a child on a path that is in accord with God’s purposes or design for them, such as is spoken of in Proverbs 22:6: Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

o Deut.31:19
Now therefore write ye this song for you, and teach it the children of Israel: put it in their mouths, that this song may be a witness for me against the children of Israel.

teach in this verse is:
1. to learn. teach, exercise in
a. (Qal) to learn
b. (Piel) to teach
c. (Pual) to be taught, be trained

2. What I get from this is the importance of using songs/music to teach something you want remembered. Makes me think of Ephesians 5:19: speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord,

Jesus modeled perfectly how to teach to His disciples:

o Matt.7:29 for He taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes
o Mark 2:13Then He went out again by the sea; and all the multitude came to Him, and He taught them.
o Mark 4:2 Then He taught them many things by parables, and said to them in His teaching:
o John 8:28 Then Jesus said to them, "When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He, and that I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father taught Me, I speak these things.

o I get from this teach not opinions or interpretations but what the Father has taught you from scripture which matches up with what Jesus modeled and teach it without doubt.

o Also, teach wherever you go

o Teach using stories/parables from everyday life


Q- How does God tell us to teach our children?

• Deut.4:9
Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life: but teach them thy sons, and thy sons' sons; 4:10 Specially the day that thou stoodest before the LORD thy God in Horeb, when the LORD said unto me, Gather me the people together, and I will make them hear my words, that they may learn to fear me all the days that they shall live upon the earth, and that they may teach their children.

• Teach in verse 9 is: to know, to learn to know, recognize, admit, acknowledge, confess, be familiar with.
• Teach in verse 10 is: to learn. teach, exercise in
o (Qal) to learn
o (Piel) to teach
o (Pual) to be taught, be trained

o First, I get from this teaching begins with knowing what God’s word says for yourself and what He has done in your life; meditate and be sure to remember them, and a way we do that is by teaching them to our children. The teacher learns as much or more than the students. When we teach our kids what God’s word says and what He’s done in our lives we remember.

o Also, remembering what God has done, the times He’s spoken to your heart and telling those things to your kids trains them.

Deut. 6:7
And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

o diligently in this verse is: to sharpen, whet Qal) to whet, sharpen (Piel) to sharpen,teach (incisively) (Hithpolel) to be pierced

o We should be teaching our children God’s word all day long, in everything we do, this sharpens them! Makes me think of the arrows God speaks of our children as being- weapons against the enemy. Psalm 127:4: Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth.

o Deut. 11:19
And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

1. Teach in this verse is: to learn. teach, exercise in
a. (Qal) to learn
b. (Piel) to teach
c. (Pual) to be taught, be trained

Teaching our children all day long, in everything we do not only sharpens them, but trains them like a coach.

o Exodus 10:2
And that thou mayest tell in the ears of thy son, and of thy son's son, what things I have wrought in Egypt, and my signs which I have done among them; that ye may know how that I am the LORD.
tell is: count, recount, relate

Tell stories of what God has done, in our lives and in the lives of His children throughout history.

o Exodus 13:6-8
Seven days you shall eat unleavened bread, and on the seventh day there shall be a feast to the Lord. Unleavened bread shall be eaten seven days. And no leavened bread shall be seen among you, nor shall leaven be seen among you in all your quarters.And thou shalt shew thy son in that day, saying, This is done because of that which the LORD did unto me when I came forth out of Egypt.

1. shew is: to be conspicuous, tell, make known
a. (Hiphil) to tell, declare
1. to tell, announce, report
2. to declare, make known, expound
3. to inform of
4. to publish, declare, proclaim
5. to avow, acknowledge, confess 1a
b. messenger (participle)
c. (Hophal) to be told, be announced, be reported



o Do special activities, holidays, practices, rituals, that declare, proclaim, publish, make known what God has done for you. I believe this is why we should study feasts, not to keep them (Jesus kept them- he fulfilled them), but as an activity that God set up to clearly proclaim His message. But I also believe since there is no keeping of the law in the since that we aren’t try to fulfill it by doing certain practices, but by living a life of faith, in any culture a Spirit-led application of these feasts that point to and teach us about the Jesus of the Bible could be practiced.

o Exodus 13:14 And it shall be when thy son asketh thee in time to come, saying, What is this? that thou shalt say unto him, By strength of hand the LORD brought us out from Egypt, from the house of bondage:

o This instructs us to tell our children why we give our reborn lives and the first of all we have to the Lord for service (speaking of the verses 11-12 where what was done was the setting apart to the Lord all that open the womb)

o Deut.6:20 "When your son asks you in time to come, saying, 'What is the meaning of the testimonies, the statutes, and the judgments which the Lord our God has commanded you?'

o Do what is good in the sight of God and wait for your children to ask questions. Tell them as Jesus told His disciples that you do what the Father shows you to do.

o Joshua 4:6
that this may be a sign among you when your children ask in time to come, saying, 'What do these stones mean to you?'

o Joshua 4:20-24
20 And those twelve stones which they took out of the Jordan, Joshua set up in Gilgal. 21 Then he spoke to the children of Israel, saying: "When your children ask their fathers in time to come, saying, 'What are these stones?' 22 then you shall let your children know, saying, 'Israel crossed over this Jordan on dry land'; 23 for the Lord your God dried up the waters of the Jordan before you until you had crossed over, as the Lord your God did to the Red Sea, which He dried up before us until we had crossed over, 24 that all the peoples of the earth may know the hand of the Lord, that it is mighty, that you may fear the Lord your God forever."

o Set up memorials with your children to remember spiritual crossroads in your life. I also see in this that the 12 tribes of Israel and the 12 disciples are the memorials, the stones, we go back to when remembering what God has done for us. We are to let the scriptures account of their lives be examples and memorials for us to learn from.

No comments: